Pink Pitaya Conchas
These Pink Pitaya Conchas are a labor of love and no other pan dulce is more representative of Mexico than these soft & crunchy sweet deliciousness! In this dreamy pretty pink color, Suncore Foods® Pink Pitaya Powder was incorporated and with our magnificent selection of Suncore Foods® Powders, the possibilities for dressing up the conchas sugar topping are infinite. One bite into these and you'll be in love!
Make 12 Conchas
440g (3 1/2 cups) bread flour / all purpose flour
50g (1/4 cup) light brown sugar
1 tsp fine salt
7g (2 tsp or 1 package) instant yeast
110g (1/2 cup) vegan butter, melted
240 ml (1 cup) soy milk, warm
Extra butter to brush on the buns.
Pink Pitaya Cookie Dough:
100g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
110g (1/2 cup) softened vegan butter (stick, not tub)
125g (1 cup) all purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
3-5 tsp Suncore Foods® Pink Pitaya Powder dissolved into 1 tsp water
1. Make the Bread Dough — In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add melted butter and warm milk and knead until smooth (10 min). Place into a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 90 min until double in size. Deflate dough and divide into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and place on a lined baking sheet. Cover with a clean towel while you make the topping.
2. Make the Cookie Dough — Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add Suncore Foods® Pink Pitaya Powder dissolved into 1 tsp water and mix to combine. Add in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix slowly until a soft dough forms. Divide the cookie dough into 12 equal pieces, then flatten into discs. Brush the buns with melted butter. Wrap the cookie dough around each bun. Using a sharp knife, cut out shell shapes on the cookie topping.
3. Let conchas rise for 90 min, until doubled in size.
4. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C.
5. Bake for 15-17 minutes.
6. Let cool down completely and enjoy!