Pan-Fried Rose Shaped Dumplings
These Pan-Fried Rose Shaped Dumplings (or Japanese Gyoza/potstickers) are taking edible flowers to a whole new level! They not only the most satisfying edible roses they also capture our hearts through their palette, these dumplings will make any table look radiant for any event.
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup boiling water
1/4 tsp Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder
1 tsp fine salt
1 block firm tofu, drained and crumbled
2 cloves garlic
1 cup diced mushrooms
1 cup finely chopped bok choy
1/2 cup finely chopped coriander
2 tbsp grated ginger
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp rice wine
2 tbsp olive oil
1. In a large skillet heat oil over medium high heat, add all filling ingredients excluding tofu, bok choy and corianders. Cook mixture until fragrant and mushrooms cooked off. Add tofu, bok choy, and stir-fry for another 2-3 mins.
2. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and allow to cool. Then add the corianders and mix well.
3. Wrappers — In a stand mixer, add flour, salt and water, knead (using a dough hook) until you have a smooth dough. Remove half of the dough from the mixer, set aside. Add Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder into the half dough and continue kneading until combined. Let doughs rest for 20 mins. Roll white and red dough into 2 rectangle pieces (same length) Cut strips of both red and white, about 1/2 inch wide. Line up strips (red, white and red). Gently roll again with your rolling pin to seal layers. Cut a circle using a cookie cutter. Then flatten each piece into a thin wrapper with a rolling pin.
4. Arrange 4 wrappers in a line, slightly overlapping each other. Spread filling onto the center of the wrappers. Fold in half and wet edges slightly with water. Starting at the end, roll it up tightly.
5. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Fry the dumplings flat side down for about 2 minutes until a golden crust forms on the bottom. Add the 1/4 cup water and immediately cover with a lid and let the steam cook the dumplings for 8 minutes or until all the water has evaporated. Remove the lid and let the dumplings to cook for a further minute until they lift off from the bottom of the pan easily.