Ebony Carrot Purple Supercolor Sourdough
Pillowy soft inside with the most perfect scoring, this dramatic striking purple color to the sourdough will bring a touch of fun to make every week for breakfast! Colored delightfully incorporating Suncore Foods® Ebony Carrot Supercolor Powder to create this impressive purple hue. While it may take a bit of time to make, these buns are definitely worth the effort!
Recipe and photo by our brand ambassador Mei Yee. Check out her Instagram @nm_meiyee for more magnificent recipes!
Ingredients (makes 2 loaves):
440g organic bread flour
15g Suncore Foods® Ebony Carrot Supercolor Powder (Dissolved in 1 tbsp 15g water)
98g active sourdough starter
11g Suncore Foods® Rose Salt
1. 7am – Prepare the starter; combine 20g starter, 40g flour mix, 40g water. Use it right at peak, about 4.5 to 5 hours.
2. 8:30am – Combine flour, water, and dissolved purple carrot mixture, mix well and let rest for 3 hours.
3. 11:30am – Wet your hand, add starter to the dough and hand mixing until incorporated, about 5 mins. Cover and rest for 30 mins.
4. 12:00pm – Add salt and mans mixing with wet hand, about 5 minutes. Cover and rest for 1 hour.
5. 1:00pm – Mist the counter top with water and wet your hand. Transfer dough on the counter top, gently pull from centre out to form a rectangle shape. Pick up one edge and fold into the center. Pick up other edge and fold into the center over first section. Fold the top down half way. Fold the bottom up. Put dough in a large dish. Cover and rest for 45 mins.
6. 1:45pm – 1# Coil Fold. Lift the dough from the middle with both hands. The four fingers have to be below the dough and only the thumbs above the dough. Lift the dough and place it on the dish like a coil. Cover and rest for 45 mins.
7. 2:30pm – 2# Coil Fold. Repeat the same. Cover and rest for 45 mins.
8. 3:15pm – 3# Coil Fold. Repeat the same. Cover and rest for 45 mins.
9. 4:00pm – Shaping; lightly flour the counter top. Transfer dough on the counter, divide dough into 2. Shape each dough and transfer to a heavily flour banneton or a bowl. Let proof at room temperature for 20 minutes. Then refrigerate for 12 - 16 hours.
10. 6:00am (the next day) – Preheat oven and @challengerbreadware bread pan at 250c for 30 mins.
11. Take bread dough out from the fridge, invert onto a parchment paper, dust with flour and scoring. Transfer the dough with the parchment paper to the preheated pan.
12. Bake with cover on for 20 mins. Remove the cover and lower the temperature to 200c, continue bake for another 10 mins. Remove bread from the oven and let cool completely. Enjoy!