Spicy Tofu Rose Dumplings
Rose are red, violet are blue, our favorite wrapper? Definitely dumpling! This beautiful spicy tofu rose dumpling is certainly of a kind! Make it a little extra special with Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder to elevate your classic dumpling and turn it into this playful, elegant rose. A family wraps together, stays together. It's such a fun way to connect and bond with your loved ones, and the aftermath is mouth-watering and delicious. So why not try this recipe and make it an unforgettable experience. We have good “filling” about these dumplings!
1 block firm tofu, drained & crumbled
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tbsp grated ginger
1 tbsp dried chilli flakes
1 cup finely chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped spring onion
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp rice wine
1/4 cup vegetable oil
A pinch of salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder
1 tsp salt
1. Filling — In a large bowl combine all filling ingredients except for oil. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Once it reaches 190c, turn off the heat. Carefully pour oil or use a ladle to transfer oil into the bowl. Mix well.
2. In a stand mixer, add flour, salt and water, knead (using a dough hook) until you have a smooth dough. Remove half of the dough from the mixer, set aside. Add Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder into the half dough and continue kneading until combined. Let doughs rest for 20 minutes.
3. Roll white and red dough into 2 rectangle pieces (same length) Cut strips of both red and white, white about 1 inch wide and red 1/2 inch. Line up strips (see video) Gently roll again with your rolling pin to seal layers. Cut a circle using a cookie cutter. Then flatten each piece into a thin wrapper with a rolling pin.
4. Arrange 5 wrappers in a line, slightly overlapping each other. Spread filling onto the center of the wrappers. Fold in half and wet edges slightly with water. Starting at the end, roll it up tightly. Make sure the dumpling properly sealed later on. Repeat this step with all the wrappers and filling.
5. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Fry the dumplings flat side down for about 2 minutes until a golden crust forms on the bottom. Add the 1/4 cup water and immediately cover with a lid and let the steam cook the dumplings for 8 minutes or until all the water has evaporated. Remove the lid and let the dumplings to cook for a further minute until they lift off from the bottom of the pan easily.