Snow White Candied Apples
Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all? Bring some fun to your Halloween party with these Snow White Candied Apples. Don't worry these apples are completely safe to eat, however, they could be dangerously delicious! Color it this deep red hue with Suncore Foods® Velvet Red Beet & Red Beet Powder and add some floral aroma with Suncore Foods® Globe Amaranth Flowers. We are excited about the spooky season! No tricks, just treats!
2 tbsp Suncore Foods® Globe Amaranth Flowers
105g hot water
10g Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder
5g Suncore Foods® Velvet Red Beet Powder
135g granulated sugar
170g corn syrup
½ tsp cream of tartar
2 tsp agar agar powder
950 - 1000g fresh apples, washed and patted dry
Other items needed: Long wooden skewers
1. Place Suncore Foods® Globe Amaranth Flowers in hot water and let sit for 15 minutes, until the water is fully pink. Using the back of a spoon, press down on the flowers to extract as much color and taste as possible. Strain water into another container and discard flowers.
2. Dissolve both Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder & Suncore Foods® Velvet Red Beet Powder into the Globe Amaranth Flowers Water and set aside.
3. Place a saucepan on medium heat and add sugar to it. While stirring once or twice, cook sugar until it starts to melt. Don’t allow more than 5% of the sugar to melt. If more of the sugar melts, it will crystalize in the next step (solution provided). Remove from heat.
4. Mix corn syrup into the Suncore Foods® Powders water and add the entire mixture to the saucepan. Once added to the sugar, the mixture might start to bubble. Once the mixture is well combined, place the saucepan back onto medium heat.
5. Mix in cream of tartar and agar agar powder. Bring the mixture to boil while stirring regularly. Continue to boil for 3-4 minutes. If the sugar crystalized in step 3, boil the mixture until all hardened clusters have been dissolved.
6. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook until the mixture starts to thicken and you feel a light resistance while scooping it up. This could take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes depending on the flow of heat. Once the mixture has thickened, remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. The mixture will continue to thicken while it cools.
7. While the mixture cools, pierce each apple with a wooden skewer and place wax paper on a flat surface (or use a flat board).
8. Holding the apples with the skewers, coat each apple with the prepared mixture as per preference. Place apples on the flat surface with the skewers pointing up. Allow the coating to set completely before serving (30-60 minutes).