Purple & Orange Pear Pie
Spooky season is finally here!!!! No tricks, just treats with this fa-boo-lous Rainbow Pear Pie. This colorful pie will be the talk of the town at your party. Dress it up with the classic purple and orange color combination, and get into the Halloween spirit with Suncore Foods® Ebony Carrot, Red Beet, and Yellow Goldenberry Powders. It's love at first bite, underneath this bold and loud colorful fun is a sweet, delightful, pear filling with a hint of cinnamon & lemon juice. Time to get this party started! Ready for a wicked good time.
Makes 9-Inch Pie
Orange Crust Ingredients:
515g gluten-free 1-to-1 flour
12g Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder & Suncore Foods® Yellow Goldenberry Powder
50g granulated white sugar
4g (½ tsp) salt
220g cold vegan butter
10 tbs ice cold water
Purple Crust Ingredients:
255g gluten-free 1-to-1 flour
8g Suncore Foods® Ebony Carrot Powder
25g granulated sugar
2g (¼ tsp) salt
110g cold vegan butter
5 tbsp ice cold water
900 - 1,000g red d’Anjou pears
65g brown sugar
2-3g (½ - 1 tsp) ground cinnamon
12g lemon juice (optional)
1. Crust — Start with any 1 Suncore Foods® Powder crust. In a large bowl, combine flour, Suncore Foods® Powder, sugar and salt. Using a pastry cutter or a knife, cut butter into smaller chunks and add to the dry mixture. Combine well until crumbly, use your clean hands if needed. Mix in 4 tbsp of water and continue to add more water 1 tbsp at a time until a dough starts to form, this will take approximately 10 tbsp of water. Gluten-free flour uses more water than usual, if required add some more water 1 tbsp at a time. Transfer the mixture onto a clean work surface and knead for 1-2 minutes. Form two discs and tightly wrap each dough in cling film. Refrigerate overnight. Follow the same instructions and prepare the purple dough. Form one disc and tightly wrap the dough in cling film. Refrigerate overnight.
2. Filling — Wash, core and cut pears as per preference (skin on optional). Transfer pears to a large bowl and mix in cornstarch, brown sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice (if using). Set aside while preparing the crust.
3. Preheat oven to 375 deg. F.
4. Unwrap 1 orange dough, keep the 2nd orange dough and purple dough refrigerated. Place the dough between two sheets of wax paper and using a rolling pin, roll the dough out evenly. The sides will not be smooth, that’s okay!
5. Gently remove the top sheet of wax paper and place the pie pan upside down on the rolled-out dough. Slide one hand underneath the wax paper and holding the pie pan with your other hand, flip the dough and pan. Working with gluten-free dough can be tricky and the dough can fall apart. If the dough cracks or breaks, simply press the broken piece of dough between your palms and attach it back to the pie pan. Once it bakes it will all come together.
6. Gently press the dough along the edges and inside of the pan.
7. Transfer prepared pears to the pie pan and set aside.
8. Form the upper crust layer – Individually roll out both remaining doughs, keeping them in between sheets of wax paper. Using round cookie cutters (approx. 2” diameter) cut rounds in both respective doughs.
9. Place one round of any color on the circumference of the pie, gently pressing it into the bottom dough. Alternating between colors, place another round on the edge, fitting a quarter of the round on top of the previously placed round. Gently press it into the dough beneath. Continue this process moving in one direction until the pie is completely covered. Once you have completed the outer circumference, move slightly inwards and follow the same steps. In order to cover a 9” pie pan, you should have 4-5 concentric circles.
10. Once the pie is completely covered, bake for 10 minutes at 375 deg. F. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 deg. F and continue to bake for 40 – 50 minutes until the crust is flaky and the filling is properly cooked.
11. Allow pie to cool down completely or to a safe temperature before serving.