Even if there's rain, we always look for the rainbow. These beautifully colored Rainbow Daifuku will turn any gloomy day bright and cheerful! Sink your teeth into these chewy and soft mochi ball and relish in the taste of sweet red bean paste filling. A popular type of wagashi, daifuku are perfectly paired with a cup of green tea. The perfect combination! Make it magical and rainbow by using Suncore Foods® Powders. Always be a rainbow and have fun!
½ cup glutinous rice flour (sweet rice flour, shiratamako was used) (65g)
¼ cup water (60g)
2 tbsp sugar (25g)
Suncore Foods® Ebony Carrot Powder for purple color
Suncore Foods® Aqua Blue Spirulina Powder for blue color
Suncore Foods® Midori Jade Matcha Powder for green color
Suncore Foods® Yellow Goldenberry Powder & safflower/turmeric powder for yellow color
Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder & Suncore Foods® Yellow Goldenberry Powder for orange color
Suncore Foods® Ruby Red Radish Powder for red color
Filling (red bean paste):
½ can azuki sweetened bean paste (95g)
2 tsp sugar (8g)
1 tsp cornstarch (3g)
1. Filling — Add sugar and cornstarch to the azuki bean paste and reduce with heat till moldable consistency. I used the microwave with stirring every 20 secs for 1 min. Divide into 15g balls.
2. Mix together the glutinous rice flour and sugar. Add the water little by little and mix well, until the dough takes on the consistency of an earlobe. *The amount of water to add may vary according to the flour you are using, so adjust accordingly.
3. Divide the dough into 6 portions and knead in Suncore Foods® Powders. *Swipe to see pictures. The color will darken considerably after cooking, so make sure your colors are really light!
4. Further divide the dough into 10g balls for wrapping the red bean paste. Pinch off 2 small balls from the excess dough for making the hands. Color a small ball (10g) black with dark cocoa powder (this is for making the eyes later). Cover with cling wrap.
5. Dust the work top and your hands with some cornstarch and wrap the 15g red bean balls with 10g colored dough and roll into a ball. Add on hands and facial features using dough.
6. Steam for 15-20 mins. You can also microwave for 1 min (spray generously with water) or cook in in boiling water. Assemble them into the “boat” cake, and enjoy!