Purple Sweet Potato Cream Puffs
These light and delicate Homemade Purple Sweet Potato Cream Puffs bursting with delicious sweet cream and dusted with powdered sugar make for an unforgettable treat. Surprisingly easy to master at home and used Suncore Foods® Purple Sweet Potato Powder to get this impressive purple hue. These dreamy cream puffs will have all your delicious dreams come true, after all it is impossible to resist the beauty of this deliciousness.
50g (1/3 cup) cake flour
10g-15g Suncore Foods® Purple Sweet Potato Powder
40g (3 tbsp) unsalted butter
20g (1/2 tbsp) sugar
2 large eggs
40g (3 tbsp) Unsalted Butter
10g (1/2 tbsp) sugar
55g (1/3 cup + 1 tbsp) cake flour
80g (1/3 cup) milk
10g Suncore Foods® Purple Sweet Potato Powder
200ml (3/4 cup) heavy cream
30g (2 tbsp) sugar
1 tsp vanilla extra
1. Preheat oven to 350 F/180C.
2. Make the Craquelin Topping (crust) — Mix butter, brown sugar, Suncore Foods® Purple Sweet Potato Powder, and flour, together in a large bowl using a spatula. Place dough between two sheets of waxed paper or inside a zip-top bag. Roll into a log shape (about 1 inch diameter). Freeze until ready to use.
3. Sift the flour and Suncore Foods® Purple Sweet Potato Powder once, set aside.
4. Combine water, butter and sugar in a saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add flour; stir with a wooden spoon until mixture comes together into a smooth dough and pulls away cleanly from the bottom of the pan.
5. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Whisk eggs, one at a time, into the pastry, mixing well after each addition.
6. Scoop pastry into a pastry bag and pipe into 1-in 8 buns on the baking sheet. Smooth out tops with a wet finger.
7. Take the crust out of the fridge. Use a small cookie cutter, about the size of each choux, to cut out the crust and place them over each choux.
8. Put in the oven for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden, then open the oven door to let the steam out and directly re-close it. Leave them to bake for another 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the Choux on a cooling rack and leave to cool down completely.
9. Whip the cream filling ingredients together in a bowl until soft peaks form.
10. Carefully slice each Choux Bun in Half. Place the cream in a piping bag with a nozzle. Fill each Choux with the Pastry Cream then place the Choux lid back on top of the cream.