Matcha Mochi Sesame Buns
Everything is so matcha better with dessert! Once you take a bite of these fluffy and chewy Matcha Mochi Sesame Buns, you can't stop! Chewy, tenderly sweet mochi inside soft, air-light matcha buns. It's a matcha-made in heaven! Add an extra boost of color and matcha with Suncore Foods® Midori Jade Matcha Powder to achieve this delightful green hue with an added umami, earthy taste!
100g glutinous rice flour
30g rice flour
50g granulated sugar
20g vegetable oil
340g bread flour
3g instant yeast / 7g active
150g warm milk
40g granulated sugar
1 large egg
25g unsalted butter - room temp
15g Suncore Foods® Midori Jade Matcha Powder dissolved in 32g water
White & black sesame seeds
1. To Make the Mochi — Combine both flours and sugar in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in milk and oil. Sieve mixture into a nonstick pan on medium heat. Stir and fold until dough is soft and cohesive, and no liquid is visible. Transfer to a oiled surface. Keep folding with a spatula, or stretch and fold using your hands (once cool to touch) until dough is bouncy, stretchy, and has elasticity. Split into 10 equal portions, roll them into round balls, cover, and set aside.
2. Activate yeast in milk, and let sit for 10 mins until bubbly.
3. In a large stand mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, egg, Suncore Foods® Midori Jade Matcha Powder paste, and the yeast mixture. Knead on medium-low speed until dough comes together. Then add the butter in two parts. Continue kneading for 8-10 mins until dough becomes smooth and releases easily from the bowl. Transfer to a clean lightly greased bowl, cover, and let rise for 1-1.5 hour until it’s doubled in size.
4. Degas and punch out dough. Split into 10 equal round balls, cover, let rest for 15 mins. Flatten matcha dough approx. palm size, and fold in piece of mochi cinching the seams as you would a dumpling. Repeat to all dough and mochi balls.
5. Place 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
6. Mix white and black sesame seeds onto a plate. Spray surface of dough with water spritzer, and roll each one with seeds. Place all finished seeded doughs onto baking sheet, cover, and proof for 30 mins.
7. Bake buns for 10-12 mins. Let cool slightly on wire rack and ENJOY!