Legend has it, Gulab Jamun is one of Indian most popular and loved desserts! These milk solid-based, sweet balls are usually soaked in rose water, making them smell and taste distinctive from any other dessert! Gulab means rose water, and that's why they got their name. To recreate this delicate and unique dessert, Suncore Foods® Rose Petals was featured to create rose water scented syrup, the soul of Gulab Jamun. Take a bite, and as they melt in your mouth, the sweet flavor of milk, sugar, and notes of roses will fill your tummy with happiness.
2 1/4 cups crumbled or grated khoya/mawa
5 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
5 to 6 tbsp water
3 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups water
1/4 tsp cardamom powder or a few crushed cardamom pods
1- 2 tbsp rose water from Suncore Foods® Rose Petals
1 tbsp lime juice
Ghee or oil to fry
1/2 cup Suncore Foods® Rose Petals
2 cups water
1. To make the rose water — Add the Suncore Foods® Rose Petals and water to a pot. Let it simmer for ten mins covered or till the petals turn white. Filter the rose water through a sieve and set it aside to cool completely.
2. To make the Jamuns — Crumble or grate Khoya. Mix it with all purpose flour, baking soda in a bowl.
3. Slowly add water, knead and make a soft sticky dough. Do not knead too much though.
4. Roll tight and Form small lime sized balls without cracks.
5. In the meantime prepare the sugar syrup by combining water and sugar and boiling it for ten minutes in medium. Add the cardamom and rose water to it.
6. Heat ghee or oil in a kadai. When the oil is hot enough turn it to medium heat and start Frying jamuns till they turn golden brown. If you keep the oil very hot you will see the jamuns turn brown but it will not be cooked inside.
7. Then drop the fried Jamuns in the hot syrup and let them soak. Enjoy!