Colorful Pumpkin Shaped Buns
Let us spice things up a bit! Have a lot of fun and enjoy these ADORABLE Colorful Pumpkin Shaped Buns. Orange you pumped for autumn? These beautiful warm orange with a hint of purple, made with Suncore Foods® Ebony Carrot, Red Beet & Yellow Goldenberry Powders, are just perfect for this season! Everything we dough, we dough it for love. Let's bake the world a happy place.
Ingredients for 1 Color: Makes 7-8 Buns
200g warm oat milk
3g active dry yeast
18g olive oil
320g whole wheat bread flour
1-3g Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder & Suncore Foods® Yellow Goldenberry Powder
8g Suncore Foods® Ebony Carrot Powder
Melted vegan butter or plant-milk for brushing
Cinnamon sticks cut into halves or thirds
Stand mixer with a dough hook attachment
1. Prepare 1 Color Dough — In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine warm milk, sugar and yeast and set aside until the mixture is frothy. Mix in olive oil on low speed for 30 seconds. Mix in salt, flour and one Suncore Foods® Powder on low speed (or at the mixer recommended speed for dough) until the dough comes together and is no longer sticking to the walls of the bowl.
2. 1st Proof — Remove dough and form a dough ball. Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover and proof the dough for 60-90 minutes.
3. Prepare 2nd Dough — Follow the same steps to prepare and proof the second Supercolor dough.
4. Roll Dough — Prepare a baking sheet and set aside. Work with one dough at a time, punch the air out and lightly re-knead the dough for a few seconds and form a dough log. Cut the dough log into 7-8 portions. Form small dough balls with each portion ensuring the dough is tightly packed without any creases.
5. Shape Dough — Take a long piece of cooking twine and place it horizontally on a work surface. Place a dough ball at the midpoint of the string. Take the edges of the string, loop them once (as if tying the first knot of a shoe string), crossing the edges and gently place the string vertically on the dough ball (forming quadrants). Flip the dough and loop/cross the string edges again and place the string diagonally (forming sixths). Flip the dough again and loop/cross the string edges and place the string diagonally on the opposite side (forming eights). Tie the ends together with a final knot and cut off any excess string. Don’t tie the strings too tight, maintain some breathing room, allowing the dough to rise further.
6. 2nd Proof — Place the shaped dough onto the prepared baking tray. The knot can face down or up. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and set aside for 1 hour.
7. Bake — Preheat oven to 350º F. Brush the dough with melted butter or plant-milk and bake for 20-25 minutes. Once ready, the top of the buns should be lightly crisp and golden-brown on the bottom. The buns should sound hollow when you tap on them.
8. Allow the buns to cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Once the buns have cooled, cut the string off and gently remove it from the buns. Insert a cinnamon stick on the top of the pumpkin shaped bun imitating a pumpkin stem.