Quinoa Ven Pongal
Good food never fails in bringing people together. This delicious Quinoa Ven Pongal is a popular South Indian savory dish, made with curry leaves, black pepper, ginger, and cumin... "Venn" means "white" and "Pongal" is a popular lentil rice dish. We made it light & delicious with Suncore Foods® Rainbow Quinoa Seed. It's ideal to serve this for breakfast with coconut chutney, if you had it for dinner or lunch, it can be served with sambar or Pongal gotsu. Good people, good food, good time!
1 cup Suncore Foods® Rainbow Quinoa Seeds
1/2 cup moong dal
1 inch piece ginger
A few curry leaves
4 cups water
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp cumin seeds
3-4 tbsp ghee
1 tbsp whole black pepper
A few cashew nuts
1. Instant Pot Method — Wash and rinse Suncore Foods® Rainbow Quinoa Seeds and moong dal multiple times until clear water is seen. Peel the ginger and crush gently. Set the Instant pot to sauté mode. Combine water, quinoa, moong dal. Add salt, ginger and asafoetida. Cook by setting the timer for 12 minutes. Leave for another 10 minutes until the pressure release naturally. Open the lid, and gently mash until all the ingredients merge together.
2. Pressure Cooker Method — Combine water, quinoa, moong dal. Add salt, ginger and asafoetida to a pressure cooker. Pressure cook for a minute and simmer it till done.
3. Stove Top — Combine water, quinoa, moong dal. Add salt, ginger and asafoetida to a pot. Cook covered in low flame till mushy.
4. Prepare the Tadka — In a small sauté pan, heating ghee, add the cumin seeds, cashew nuts, pepper , and curry leaves. Once the cumin seeds splutter add this Tadka to the mashed dal and quinoa mixture and mix well.
5. And serve hot with chutneys and sambar.