Ombre Blue Butterfly Milk Bread
Like a surprise waiting to be found, this Ombre Blue Butterfly Milk Bread also known as Hokkaido milk bread holds yummylicious soft & fluffy secrets within its crust. We bet this satisfying secret will be sure to bring you wonders beyond imagination! Using Suncore Foods® Blue Butterfly Pea Supercolor Powder to create this gradient beauty with Suncore Foods® Blue Butterfly Pea Supercolor Powder, this recipe in the end will be 100% worth the effort and will sure to bring you wonders beyond imagination.
Recipe and photo by the lovely Renee. Check out her Instagram @foodie_renee for more beautiful recipes!
2 cups bread flour
3 1/2 tsp Suncore Foods® Blue Butterfly Pea Supercolor Powder
1/2 cup whole milk/plant based milk
1/2 tsp dry yeast
1/2 tsp Suncore Foods® Rose Salt
2 tbsp sugar
1.5 tbsp soften butter/vegan butter at room temperature
1. Make the dough. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Mix bread ingredients together except at low speed (2~3) for 10 minutes until the dough becomes smooth. Add butter, mix at high speed (6~7) for 15 minutes until the dough is smooth, springy and just a bit tacky.
2. Make the ombre dough (white, light blue, blue and dark blue). Use your hands to lift dough out of mixer bowl and transfer to a work place. Divide the dough equally to 4 pieces and cover with a platic wrap. Take one dough with 1/2 tsp butterfly pea powder to the mixer and mix until well combined. Take the dough out and use your hands to shape it to a ball, cover with plastic wrap (light blue). Take another dough with 1 tsp butterfly pea powder to the mixer, and follow the same process (blue dough). Then take another dough with 2 tsp butterfly tea powder to the mixer and follow the same process (dark blue dough).
3. Cover with plastic wrap and let them rise for 1~1 1/2 hours until the doughs rise to their double size. After the rise, punch each dough down. Using a rolling pin, gently roll out one dough ball into a thick oval. And then use your hands, roll it back into a strand shape. Once your strand shape is created, roll it back and forth to a 10-in long strand. Follow the same process to make the other 3 strands.
4. Lay the four strands side-by-side, and then pinch them together so they are connected at the top. Then braid the 4 strands together.
5. Transfer the braid to a non-stick loaf pan (4 x 7.5 x 4.5) and cover with the lid. Let it rise 30 to 45 minutes longer, until the risen dough is peeking over the edge of the pan.
6. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in the pan 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack and let cool at least 1 hour.