Easter Lemon Linzer Cookies
These light & buttery Easter Lemon Linzer Cookies are a sweet taste of spring and perfect for this weekend. With a festive dusting of powdered sugar, these cuties are filled with tangy citrus curd and colored using Suncore Foods® Canary Yellow Safflower Supercolor Powder. Absolutely scrumptious sandwich cookies easy to make and melt in your mouth, it doesn't get much ”hoppier” than these little delightful bites!
Makes 12 large cookie sandwiches
110g (1/2 cup) plant butter (stick) or dairy butter
30g (1/4 cup) powdered sugar
50g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
1 egg (Sub: 1 flax egg for vegan)*
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tsp lemon zest (1 lemon)
1/8 teaspoon Suncore Foods® Rose Salt
70g (1/2 cup) almond flour
190g (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp baking powder
1 flax egg =1 tbsp freshly ground flax seed+3 tbsp water
Powdered sugar, for dusting
1/2 cup lemon curd for filling
Lemon Curd (vegan):
150g (3/4 cup) white sugar
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
180 ml (3/4 cup) non-dairy milk (I used soy)
90 ml (1/3 cup) fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
3 tsp lemon zest (from about 1 1/2 lemon)
1/4 tsp Suncore Foods® Canary Yellow safflower Supercolor Powder
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter until smooth (1 min). Add sugars, lemon zest and vanilla and beat until fluffy and light in color (5 min). Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
2. Slowly mix in the flour, baking powder and salt beating until just combined. Remove dough from mixer and place it between 2 sheets of parchment paper. Roll the dough to about 6 mm thick and shape into a disk. Refrigerate for 20 min.
3. Preheat oven to 180C degrees.
4. Cut out an even number of cookies with a cookie cutter. Use a smaller, decorative cutter to cut a shape out of the center of half of the cookies.
5. Bake for 8 minutes, until they are lightly browned on the bottom.
6. Let cool down a few minutes on baking tray then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
7. Lemon Curd — Whisk together sugar and corn starch in small saucepan. Add plant milk, lemon juice and zest and safflower powder. Cook on medium, whisking continuously until it starts to thicken. Transfer to a heat proof container to cool.
8. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week. It will thicken more as it cools.
9. Assembly the cookies
10. Dust the cut-out cookies with powdered sugar. Spread about a teaspoon of lemon curd onto the bottom cookies and sandwich the cut-out cookie on top.