Christmas Ornament Cookies
Some Christmas tree ornaments do more than glitter and glow; they are made with love and ridiculously delicious gingerbread cookies! These stunning Christmas ornaments are our favorite kind and made with our Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder mixed together to create this beautiful, jolly red. These gorgeous cookies in disguise will be a wonderful surprise for the family, and since they're made of gingerbread, they will last a good amount of time! Have fun and bake some snowflakes!
370g all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp salt
85g dairy free butter
150g sugar of choice
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla extract
180g sifted powdered sugar
3-5 tsp Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder
1. Crushed clear candies.
2. Sift your dry ingredients together, set aside.
3. In a stand mixer, whisk together butter, sugar, vanilla, molasses together. Add the dry ingredients. Mix on medium/low until a smooth ball starts to form, do not over mix. Add more flour if needed.
4. Roll out dough onto parchment paper or a baking mat to 1/4" thick. Try to make the dough as even in thickness as possible. Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 180c. Cut shapes out using cookie cutter. Press a paper straw into the top of the ornament to make a hole. Transfer to parchment-covered baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. Put the crushed candies into the cutout areas, back to the oven for 1-2 mins until candy has completely melted, don’t leave them in too long or they will burn. Remove from the oven and let fully cool before moving.
6. Make the Icing — In a stand mixer, beat aquafaba with cream of tartar and salt until foamy. Add all powdered sugar and red beet powder and beat on low speed until thick. Thin the icing with water to the desired consistency.
7. Decorate cookie pieces with icing. Let dry completely.