Colorful Mango Sticky Rice Balls
An uber famous Thai dessert, Mango with Sticky rice is a heavenly dessert where the whole is greater than its parts (not that we wouldn't gladly eat each element on their own). Glutinous rice aka "sweet rice," is a large white grain that becomes translucent and sticky when steamed, which creates a shining, stunning, chewy texture. Mix in with the divine sweetness of coconut milk, it becomes an irresistibly scrumptious treat! These colorful Mango Sticky Rice Balls captures all the magic of mango sticky rice in a perfect little package minus the bow. So, instead add some Suncore Foods® Supercolor Powders to for that extra special presentation. Each bite of chewy sticky rice, creamy coconut milk, and juicy mango will transport you on a tropical Southeast Asian vacation!
1 ripe mango - cubed
200g uncooked glutinous rice
1-2 tbsp Suncore Foods® Supercolor Powder for desired color (Blue Butterfly Pea, Cosmos Red Cabbage, Lilac Taro Yam, and Purple Sweet Potato)
157 ml coconut milk
100g granulated sugar
1/2 tsp Suncore Foods® Rose Salt
Salted Coconut Sauce:
118 ml coconut milk
1/4 tsp Suncore Foods® Rose Salt
1 tsp rice flour
1 tbsp water
Toasted sesame seeds
1. Rinse uncooked rice three times in cold water until water runs clear. Drain and combine rice with 300 ml water in a bowl, add 1-2 tbsp Suncore Foods powder, mix until well dissolved, and let soak for 4 hours to overnight.
2. Slice peel off mango using a sharp knife, cut fruit into small cubes, and set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine coconut milk, sugar, and salt on low heat. Stir only until sugar has dissolved, do not bring to a boil. Turn off the heat, cover with lid, and set aside.
4. Boil 1 inch of water in a steamer. Drain colored water and steam rice for 25-30 minutes. Immediately transfer to a medium mixing bowl and combine with coconut mixture while still hot. Stir until well combined, cover bowl with foil, and let sit for 40 mins total, giving it a stir halfway.
5. Line small bowl or ramekin with cling wrap. Add about 2 tbsp of rice, using a spoon to gently smear rice up along the sides. Add 4-5 pieces of mango - be sure not to overfill. Picking it up by the cling wrap, enclose mango bites with the rice to create a ball. Twist wrap tightly and let sit for 5 mins.
6. In another small sauce cup, stir and dissolve rice flour with water. Combine coconut milk and salt in a small saucepan on medium heat. Add rice flour roux to heated milk. Stir constantly as it thickens until you achieve desired consistency.
7. Unwrap mango sticky rice balls onto a serving plate, drizzle them with salted coconut sauce, sprinkle toasted sesame seeds, and ENJOY!