Blueberry Lemon Donuts Glazed with Vermillion Annatto and Canary Yellow Safflower
Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day and we got the perfect sunny treat to start your midweek sun shining bright! Soft, fluffy, moist, and bursting with fresh lemon flavor. These tart yet sweet Blueberry Lemon Donuts Glazed with Vermillion Annatto and Canary Yellow Safflower really, really do hit the sweet spot! We are obsessed with this beautiful and easy baked treat and especially when our Supercolor Powders (Vermillion Annatto and Canary Yellow Safflower) are incorporated to achieve the luscious yellow tone! We are stoked!
Yields 8 Large or 12 Small Donuts
Dry Ingredients for the Donuts:
190g (1 1/2 cups) all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp Suncore Foods® Rose Salt
150g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
Wet Ingredients for the Donuts:
180ml (3/4 cup) full fat soy milk
40g (2 tbsp) unsweetened coconut yogurt
50g (4 tbsp) vegan butter, at room temp
1 tsp vanilla bean paste/ extract
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1 tsp corn starch
80g (1/2 cup) powdered sugar
1/4 tsp Suncore Foods® Vermillion Annatto Supercolor Powder
1/4 tsp Suncore Foods® Canary Yellow Safflower Supercolor Powder
1 tbsp + 1 tsp lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease donut tray if you're not using non-stick.
2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the plant milk, coconut yogurt, melted butter, lemon zest and vanilla and whisk to combine. Don't over-mix.
4. Add blueberries and corn starch to a bowl and toss to cover.
5. Fold the blueberries into the batter and mix until just combined.
6. Transfer the donut batter into the mold with a spoon.
7. Bake for 15-17 minutes until set on top.
8. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before transferring the donuts to a wire cooling rack.
9. Allow to cool completely before glazing.
10, Whilst the donuts are cooling, make the glaze. Combine powdered sugar, natural color powders and lemon juice and mix until smooth but thick. Dip the top of each donut and let set over a rack.